Sunday, October 31, 2010

oh snickers, where art thou?

Today was the first Halloween in 18 years we haven't gone trick or treating. I called Grandma to let her know the kids wouldn't be stopping by, as Son (age 12) decided he wasn't really into the idea.

"Oh, Mama is sad her babies are all growing up," she teased.

"No, but I really could've used some chocolate." That is the whole truth and nothin' but the truth. I won't miss having to argue with the kids about not spending money on costumes or getting nervous as I realize I am as creative as a turnip mere hours before the begging begins. I absolutely despise movies and stories about ghosts and evil spirits, and I don't understand why children dress as the devil for fun. I just don't. It's disturbing.

I will miss the bundling up, the smiles and laughter, people of all ages filling the sidewalks and streets, and of course the candy. Ooh, the candy. Better yet, free candy. It was a good run while it lasted.

1 comment:

  1. I remeber the year you brought all of them to our place in FW. I think you had a cowboy/ western theme for costumes.

    Those WERE good days.

    ReplyDelete